3D wooden grammar symbols: set of 10 with tray – Nienhuis Montessori
The Nienhuis Montessori 3D wooden grammar symbols set comprises of ten of the fifteen grammar symbols as scaled three-dimensional models presented on a wooden tray.
As children respond well to shapes and colours, the grammar symbols were introduced by Dr. Maria Montessori as a system of coloured shapes with each shape and colour having a meaning:
1. The noun is a word that names a person, place, thing, quality or act. The symbol for the noun is represented by a black triangle. The triangle has the same shape as the pyramid, and the colour black is for carbon, believed to be the first mineral discovered by humans.
2. The article is an example of the following three words used to signal the presence of a noun. The symbol for the article is the smallest triangle of the grammar symbols set, in the colour light blue. The article is part of the noun family, which all use the triangular shape, though in different colours.
3. The adjective is also part of the noun family and is a word that adds to/modifies or describes a noun. The symbol for the adjective is a small dark blue triangle.
4. The verb is a word that expresses action, existence of occurrence or simply it gives life to the sentence. The symbol for the verb is a circle, representing the shape of the sun which gives life and its red colour symbolizes blood which is life.
5. The preposition is a word that shows the relationship of a noun to a verb, an adjective or another noun. The symbol for the preposition is a green crescent which symbolizes a bridge.
6. The adverb is a word that describes a verb, an adjective or another adverb. The symbol for the adverb is a smaller orange coloured circle and is often pictured orbiting the verb like a planet as the adverb depends on the verb for existence.
7. The pronoun is the third symbol part of the noun family and is a word that is substituted for a noun. The symbol for the pronoun is a large purple triangle.
8. The conjunction is a word that connects other words, phrases or sentences. The symbol for the conjunction is a small pink bar which represents a link in a chain.
9. The interjection is a word, phrase or sound used as an exclamation and is capable of standing by itself in a sentence. The symbol for the interjection is a gold triangle with a circle on top. This symbol combines the symbols of the noun and the verb together as interjections function as both noun and verb in a sentence. The colour gold represents the interjection being considered as the “king of all words”.
10. The numeral is an attachment, and can be added onto the basic noun, verb and infinitive symbols as needed. The symbol for the numeral is a blue triangle as the article, but larger.
The wooden grammar symbols is sensorial Montessori language material applied for the first introduction of the parts of speech to the child. Working with this material allows the child to visualize the one-dimensional Montessori grammar symbols by making them tangible objects and manipulating the three-dimensional grammar symbols help provide a deeper understanding of grammar on an academic level.
This material is suitable for children aged 6 years and up.
10 wooden 3D grammar symbols painted in different colours
1 beechwood tray for storage (47 x 21 x 11 cm)